Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cabbage soup

Today I made some yummy cabbage soup. I made so that can eat for lunch for the next week. It seems like when I'm at home with Colston I either forget to eat or don't want to take the time cook something. But having this soup on hand has been the perfect thing for me to have for lunch and I don't mind eating the same thing every day and when I get tired of I take a break from it and have left overs if we have any. I am going to share my recipe with you and some things to do to make more fun if you prefer.

Cabbage Soup

1 green pepper
4 carrots
6 sticks of celery
1-2 cans of mushrooms or fresh (depends on how much you like mushrooms)
1 can of diced tomatoes or fresh
1 head of cabbage
can or bottle of v8 juice
8 cups of water
2-3 buillon cubes

Chop up everything and add to the pot. Add juice and water last and buillon cubes. Cook for about 2 hours on medium heat. Cooks faster on high but you need to watch it. You need a very big pot for this recipe or I cut the recipe in half and then when I'm out in a week I use the other half of the ingredients. This soup also freezes well if you make the whole recipe and want to save half.

Other options:

You can add lean ground beef (Uncooked and cook it with the soup and it won't leave lots of oil on the top like fatty beef does.)
You can also add asparagus fresh or canned, artichoke hearts, onions, mix rice or pasta, any spices you may like. They also have spicy v8 juice that will give it a bit of a cook. I like this soup because you can really make it your own and add whatever you want or keep out what you don't like.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to find your recipe for enchilada soup! Where did you tell me it is?

    ReplyDelete