Monday, August 10, 2009

My New Hobby

I am not talented. I don't play an instrument. I can't sing, or draw, or dance. I've never had anything that I was extremely talented at or even good at. Unless you ask my parents then they will say I am good with people. I always laugh when they say that. It never sounded like a compliment to me when I was younger but now I see that it is. However, I decided after I had Colston that I wanted to have a hobby that I was good at that I could do for my kids. And I decided if nothing else I wanted to be able to make their birthday cakes every year.

For his first birthday I decided to make his personal cake a fish. And the big cake was the ocean with fish swimming.

After I made his birthday cake my friend Larissa asked me to make ones for Bella's first birthday. She gave me the theme and I came up with these lady bug cakes and the personal lady bug cake for Bella.


Since making those cakes I have sold some others for birthdays and special occasions. I get so excited every time someone new asks me to make cakes for them. Especially when they offer to pay me. I have finally found something I am not only good at but enjoy.

The cake that started it all was the strawberry one I made for Larissa's birthday and then sold two like it. They are made to look like a basket of strawberries. The white one is my favorite but I think the chocolate tastes better. Mmmm....





And then for fun I found these spaghetti and meatballs cupcakes and owl cupcakes that I made for our bake sale at church. It was so cool to have someone want to buy something I made. It was a very rewarding feeling.

Hopefully this is a hobby that I will not only continue doing but will get better at the more I practice. I have enjoyed coming up with new fun ideas to make cakes and cupcakes into something more than just a cake. I already have several cakes to make in the next few months for birthdays and holidays. I'm praying that this will be a way I will be able to make a little extra money since I am not working right now. After Colston and any other kids I might have are in school I might take this skill and try to work at a bakery or something. As long as it continues to be something I enjoy and not something I begin to dread. Baking and decorating has become an outlet for me when I'm busy or stressed. I know that sounds weird but it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment