Thursday, September 10, 2009

What was I thinking Wednesday???

So I am writing a "what was I thinking Wednesday" even though it's Thursday, it happened on Wednesday and that's what I'm calling it. Mostly because I have no idea what I was thinking! Last night Matt and I were getting ready to head to church for youth group and Colston was running around. I had found one of his shoes and put it on him but thought the other one was out in storage so I was going to grab it on the way out. When I put him on the ground his foot with just the sock on made him slip a little on the linoleum and Matt and I laughed. Then we proceeded to go in our room and finish getting ready. Colston had wandered into the bathroom which I thought was fine since the toilet seat was down and he couldn't "fall in".

Matt was getting text messages from the teens that they needed last minute rides so I told him we had better go so we wouldn't be late. No sooner had those words come out of my mouth then I heard a loud "whomp" from the bathroom. It was of course falling by a loud screaming cry. I ran in and checked to make sure his teeth were fine and he hadn't bit his tongue. Everything looked okay until he tipped his head back and then I saw the damage. He must have hit his chin on either the edge of the toilet or the bathtub.

As soon as I saw the cut I told Matt plans had changed and we were going to the hospital because I knew he was going to need stitches. I called his doctor's office which has kid's care after hours and Matt called off youth group. I sat in the back with him and tried to stop the bleeding but he did not like that. He stopped crying as long as I wasn't touching his chin.

Once the doctor looked at him we realized he also had indentions on the roof of his mouth from his bottom front teeth. Ouch! There was nothing he could do about that but said it would heal on its own. They put a numbing gel on his chin but didn't have to give him any shots so that was good. Matt and I had to help hold him while he was bundled, so his arms were strapped down. The nurse held his head back so that the doctor could stitch his chin. Colston was not happy about this but we had the ipod playing "Love Story" by Taylor Swift which is his favorite song and that helped calm him down a little bit. He ended up getting five stitches. The nurse said he was the youngest she had ever seen get stitches and I wanted to say "that's not exactly something we are proud of."

When the stitches were done and we unwrapped him we gave him the ipod and he listened to "Love Story" and he was completely calm. Afterwards we had to run to Wal-mart to go get milk and other essentials. The whole time we were at wal-mart he waved and smiled and said hello to everyone. You never would have guessed that he had just had stitches. He has the best demeanor and we are so thankful for that! I kept thinking it wasn't as bad as it could have been so that helped me not freak out so much. But now that it is over and I can see the ugly stitches I think "my poor baby". The doctor said it shouldn't scar too bad so I will pray and hope for that. However, I'm sure this will not be the last or worse thing he ever does to himself, especially if he takes after his Grandpa Johnson!

No comments:

Post a Comment